Tuesday, February 4, 2014

You Saw It Here First, Folks

Seeing as how so many volunteers have blogs to let their 6 friends from back home who want to know what's going down in Macedonia these days stay informed, I figured I'd join the bandwagon. Honestly, I don't know what the hell (I mean heck...sorry mom) I'm gonna write about. I really don't want to muck this up like Jerry would have. If you didn't get the Fargo reference, you're probably not alone. But don't worry, you're not missing anything. After all, what happens in Kratovo stays in Kratovo...unless I write about it here. And if I don't, well, that requires at least a level 4 clearance, and those things aren't just given away.

Anyway, I’m not gonna get into all of the technical stuff that Peace Corps Volunteers go through upon arriving in country, and I’m not gonna try to summarize what my last 5 months here have been like to get you all caught up. I’m just going to start from where I’m at now. And for those of you that didn't know I was in the Peace Corps in Macedonia, I'm sorry that you had to find out this way, but obviously I'm not very good friends with you (if you are reading this and you didn't know I was in Macedonia, I'm just joking around. but not really. god, I'm really hoping that none of you are reading this).

Okay, now that I got my intro out of the way, I want to clarify something before I go any further. One thing that this group of words that documents my experiences IS NOT is a diary. I know what a diary is, and its definition is completely different than that. I mean, it's not like I'm sitting here on my computer writing about what I've been up to lately and how I feel about things. Anyway, I don't want to get into that right now. It’s not important. I don’t even know why you guys brought it up.

Moving on, I think you all should know the pressure I'm under while writing this. As I'm sitting here at the computer, I've got about 4 teachers sitting behind me staring. Granted they can't understand a word of this. And I'm pretty sure I heard them comment on how handsome I look today more than once since I've been sedentary (okay, I admit that I used a thesaurus to find a smart word. you can only use the word "sitting" so many times before it gets boring). I mean come on people. I’m flattered but can't you find something else to talk about for once? Some of us are just born with radiant eyes, luscious locks of hair, and a dreamy smile. Now obviously I'm not talking about myself, but that's not the point. The point is that if I've just described a girl you know and she's between the ages of 19 and 25, can you please introduce me? It's time to start writing the next paragraph because I've lost my train of thought. You guys keep on getting me off topic somehow.

I figured that this blog (i.e., not a diary) would be a good way for all of my steadfast readers out there to improve their Macedonian a little bit (because we all know how important that is). God forbid you go into your next job interview without being able to write that down on your resume. You might as well get up out of the chair, turn around, and walk right back out of the room cause you and I both know you're not getting that job. So after much deliberation that ended in a 1-0 vote in favor of it (you're lucky the other side only tried to bribe me with a free trip to Italy if I gave them my social security and bank account numbers. yeah, right. I'm not falling for that one again), I've decided to include a Macedonian word or phrase with my blog posts (or at least for this one. we'll see how it goes. I don't want to put too much pressure on myself). So without further ado, I present to you (yeah, that's right. I rhymed (try spelling that word without spell check)) the Macedonian word of the blog. I'm gonna start simple, so that I don't set the bar too high if I do end up doing this again. For all I know this may be my only blog post. Anyway, the word is:
здраво (zdravo) - hello
So next time you see me walking down the street or my name shows up in your chat box, don’t be a stranger. And certainly don’t be afraid to show off your mad skillz in Macedonian.

Now that I'm done with all of my useless jibber-jabber that you probably weren't expecting (I know I wasn't) when you clicked on that link (I bet you're starting to regret that), it's story time. That's right y'all. Pull up a chair, gather round your screens, and grab that bag of chips that you keep on telling yourself you aren't gonna eat cause it’s about to get good.

So remember yesterday when my old host mom taught me the Macedonian equivalent of eenie, meenie, miney, mo? What do you mean you weren't there? So anyway, yesterday my old host mom taught me the Macedonian equivalent of eenie, meenie, miney, mo (how are those words even spelled? hopefully you know what I'm talking about). I'm not gonna write the Macedonian version out (mainly because I don't remember it), but it happened to come up in one of my classes the next day, and I found out from my students and counterpart what's being said. Loosely translated it means I'm a bunny, you're a squirrel, blah blah blah, the end, and you're it. That was pretty cool. There’s no moral to that story, but if you do feel like you want to take something away from that, let it be this. It was nice to know that Americans are similar to Macedonians in at least one respect. That is, that we both have stupid sayings that we've made up to select who’s it when we’re playing games as kids. After all, it’s the simple things that count.

Well, I've rambled on about pretty much nothing for far too long already. And as much as I know you’re enjoying reading this, I think now it’s time that I say goodbye because let’s face it, you've wasted enough of your time already by reading this far. So, that's all for now, folks. Stay tuned for the next edition where I'll go in search of a wild boar in the mountains of Kratovo to wrassle to the death. And if I win...free pastramailija for everyone! Okay, I’m really gonna go now. I just wanted to get the word count up to 1000 since I was so close.

Stay classy world.

Also, I feel obligated (mostly because I am obligated to put this on here) to mention that "The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps" (this sentence, however, I stole from someone else's blog). I'm such a rebel.

No comments:

Post a Comment